Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 309

Monday, January 10th, 2011

Day 309 - Back rubs.  I miss giving and getting back rubs.  Put the kids to bed, sat down on the couch and was reminded by my sore neck that I miss back rubs.  It's the little things that, added up, make this journey what it is.

Received texts from a few friends today letting me know I'm in their prayers.  Obviously God's timing as I've been more tired than usual.  Not physically sick, just tired/overwhelmed.  So hearing that others are praying for me are literally words that possess strength. 

Something else that I found encouraging...yesterday I did some last-minute preaching as a friend had to make an emergency trip out of town.  I shared a bit of my story with the congregation and after both services there were several who approached me to share their story.  A high school freshman wanted to let me know he lost his mother when he was seven.  A young woman wanted me to know her co-worker was killed three months ago leaving behind his new bride.  A woman, my age, wanted me to know she lost her husband 14 years ago, was a single mom for the first seven years that followed, and is now remarried with a family double the original size.  These "strangers" suddenly felt like family.  We could stare into each other's eyes and sense an immediate connection.  A familiarity as we swapped pains and heartaches. 

At the end of the second service a man approached me to share his story.  My age, three children, lost his wife two years ago, has not remarried.  We might as well have known each other for 20 years there was that much of a kindred spirit. 

I drove away drained, but it was a good drained.  I also drove away thanking God that His plans are not ours.  What seemed like I was going to do some "pinch-hit preaching" turned out to be exactly what several people needed, myself more than anyone. 

May I continue to stay open to the opportunities put before me.  Life is too short not to.

"Father, thank You for allowing me to see you at work.  I don't deserve it.  I pray for those who are grieving, those who feel lost and confused.  May they meet You this week in a new way.  May they find their rest in You tonight."

No comments:

Post a Comment