Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 209

Saturday, October 2nd, 2010

Day 209 - Busy week so I'll leave a few bullet points...

- Preached last Sunday and spoke at our high school chapel last Wednesday.  Both messages seemed to be received with open ears/hearts.  Never thought I'd be speaking to 350 high school students once a month but here we are, and because many of them were with me back in March we're able to discuss issues on a very personal level.  I challenged them to examine their lives, acknowledge any recurring sin, and repent asking God to forgive them, heal them, and empower them.  What a sight when several of our students didn't leave the bleachers after they were dismissed, choosing instead to just sit (some crying) and contemplate what was said.  Certainly a God-moment I was honored to be a part of.

- Bailey gets his first cast off on Monday.  He'll also have the two pins in his elbow removed.  He'll then be put in another cast for two more weeks.  The itching is intense, the stuffing is falling out of the cast, the smell is what you'd expect from an active six-year old. 

- Was up in the attic this afternoon getting out the Fall decorations.  Tough few hours.  Leigh delighted in breaking out those decorations and setting everything up.  I contemplated not having decorations this year but we need as much holiday spirit in our house as possible. 

- Malia turns 5 in a couple of weeks.  Starting to plan her party.  She'll be the first (out of the four of us) to celebrate a birthday without Leigh Ann.  Lots of emotions in planning and carrying out what should normally be an exciting day.

Prayer Requests:
- The doctor told me he doesn't use any anesthesia when taking out pins.  Prayers for a smooth and relatively painless time for Bay on Monday.

- In addition to leading a weekly Bible study, I  have several speaking engagements (5 and counting) of various sorts in Oct/Nov.  Would appreciate prayers for wisdom in planning.

- Prayers as we spend the next two months celebrating many events without Leigh:  Malia's Bday (10/20), Going out and Getting Candy While Dressed in Costumes (10/31), My Bday (11/13), Caden's Bday (11/21), and Thanksgiving (11/25).

"Father, I thank You for the opportunities to make You known.  Thank You that life doesn't have to be spent trying to undo the past but rather I can continue to focus on the present and especially the future where I'll see Leigh again.  Help the kids try to live life without a mother.  I love You." 

3 comments:

  1. If it helps at all, Elery barely cried when they removed the pins from her elbow (she was four.) The thought of it for me was a lot worse than what actually happened for her. They are usually very quick. Praying it goes smoothly!

    Christy Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,

    I have been reading your posts since Day One (Amy (Schweiger) Zurowski is an old high school friend of mine and I saw her post on her page about what happened to you and your family.) I feel compelled to finally post you a message and let you know that your posts are extraordinary. Why today to finally post?

    You posted on October 2nd which marked the 3rd Annual Noah Lamb Golf Benefit. Noah was my nephew that was born stillborn at 8 months due to a virus called CMV. We use this benefit to honor Noah and make sure that his trials and suffering was not in vain. (Money goes to his foundation for Special Olympics, HS Scholarships, and other various programs.) For some reason, I think that since I feel so close to you and Leigh Ann through these posts, I think that Noah and Leigh Ann possibly have made a connection and that makes me smile. At the benefit we have people/businesses, etc. sponsor holes. Next year my family will be sponsoring a hole in Leigh Ann's name.

    Your posts are so inspiring! It makes me pause, and I'm sure all who are reading, pause, and reflect on what is important in their lives. Thank you for helping Leigh Ann's memory live on. If not for these posts, I would have never knew of her. My life is richer with her (and you) in it.

    Chandra Lamb
    Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chandra,
    I read your post and of course had to fight back the tears. Leigh Ann is such a big part of my life and to know that others are now getting to know her, even if it's posthumously, that encourages me tremedously. I'm honored and humbled that you would choose to sponsor a hole in her name. Thank you.
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your nephew. I too am quick to think of the many connections Leigh Ann and Noah are making in Heaven and it's encouraging to think that their paths may have crossed, as ours will one day.
    Thank you for taking the time to let me know you're out there. The world has gotten much smaller since Leigh died. I long for Heaven but in the meantime I will be comforted and encouraged by posts such as yours.
    -Greg

    ReplyDelete