Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 370

Saturday, March 12th, 2011


Day 370 - Had the privilege of officiating a beautiful outdoor wedding today.  Weddings are such a pleasure to be a part of - the bride and groom are nervously excited, the parents are cautiously optimistic, friends all dressed to the nines.  Those who have been married know what lies ahead - among the good times there will also be times of disagreements, mundane nights, boring dinners, battle royales.  But for a few hours we forget all of that as we look at a radiant bride and stunning groom who are thrilled to think about spending their lives together. 


This week I also began the unit on engagement in the Marriage/Family section of my Bible class.  We're spending time discussing God's ideal way to view marriage, the roles of husbands and wives, and whom you should date.  We're learning from the Word about God providing Adam with a "suitable helper" to assist in ruling the world (Gen 1 & 2) and what Adam's reaction was when he fist laid eyes on Eve.  How stoked he was to have someone to go through life with (Gen 2:23). 


Marriage has been on my mind as of late and the truth is I miss having a helpmate.  The intimacy factor for sure but more so just having someone to do life with.  From cleaning the house and shopping to attending weddings and having dinner with friends.  This weekend I wanted to hear the voice of someone other than my kids when it was time for bed.  I wanted to watch a movie with someone lying on my shoulder other than Malia.  I wanted to discuss the future with someone other than my financial planner.  I wanted to dream outloud with someone older than 11.      


I take my cue from those who have been single more years than I have and that helps me gain perspective.  I am complete in Christ and I can find my strength in Him to live a joyful life with or without someone else.  Nonetheless, if I'm being completely honest, it's been a challenging couple of days.  I know God has a plan and yet I'm jealous for those who are living out His plan with someone by their side. 

Still trying to figure out how to do this new life.


Prayer Requests -
- The kids and I are on Spring Break next week.  Though we're a week past the anniversary of Leigh's death, it was the Saturday before Spring Break last year that she passed.  Prayers that I wouldn't dwell on what took place during Spring Break last year. 
- Prayers for me to have a balanced week.  To enjoy the kids but to also find times of personal rest.


"Father, I know You're all I need.  I pray I'd truly experience that reality this week."

1 comment:

  1. Greg,
    thank you for pressing "in" to Jesus and allowing us see and feel what that is like... so that we may not be so scared to trust Him with our lives here on earth..as short or as long as that may be.
    We continue to pray for you and press "in" to Him the best we can on our own journey. love and many hugs--Adam and Aimee Schmitt (now in CA)

    ReplyDelete