Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 137

Thursday, July 22, 2010


Day 137 - Will head over to the hospital today to see my nephew Liam.  Heavy sadness is still draped around me like a soaking wet robe.  Not sure why.  But it's here.  Hopefully seeing this new life and all that God may have for him will lift my spirit.

I find myself more and more in God's Word and while darkness looms around me, I can't imagine how life would be without the comfort I'm finding in reading the Scriptures.  God's truth is absolute and so I'm able to read it without having to question, wonder, or doubt.  Few things in life can I do that with. 

I grieve that Leigh Ann can't yet hold her newborn nephew.  Yet I was pondering yesterday morning all the new people that Leigh is getting to meet.  People that we can't yet meet.  People that have passed away from years past and those who are dying every day, even people from the East Valley.  Hundreds, even thousands are entering Heaven every day.  How exciting must it be to run into friends of friends, family members of co-workers, children of relatives.  To enjoy these relationships without sin.  To meet these people and have pure joy in the presence of our King.  True fellowship and community. 

Who knows?  Leigh may have already met the woman at the well (Jn 4), or the lame man (Jn 5), or the woman caught in adultery (Jn 8), or the blind man (Jn 9).  People that we've read a dozen times over and yet have never met.  She could have shared a bowl of cereal with Martha, or Mary, or Elizabeth.  She could have joined a group of fellow believers as they gathered around David and listened to how he took down Goliath.  All to say, with the many that are coming through Heaven's gates each day I can't imagine Leigh is walking around with nothing to do!

Not to be preachy, but the only reason I can have this hope that Leigh is alive and well is because of God's Word.  The Bible is living and active (Heb 4:12), which means it's alive!  Somehow, this book that sits on our night stand or is tucked away in our car somewhere is living.  Through the Spirit, the Bible is ready to teach, convict, train, give hope, dispense grace.  I don't claim to understand it fully, but I'm here to tell you as one who is bruised and broken, God, through the Scriptures, has been getting me up each day.  The Bible tells me Leigh is enjoying Heaven because she believed (Jn 6:29, 35, 40, 47).

Consequently, because Heaven comes as a result of belief, Hell comes as a result of unbelief.  How incredibly sad will it be for anyone not to enjoy Heaven because of a refusal to trust in Christ for eternal life.

How's this for weird - Jn 6:66, "As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew, and were not walking with Him anymore."  I'm not a "let's make a big deal about numbers" type guy, but come on!  "666," and that's the verse?!  I'd make a much bigger deal about this but I Chronicles also has a 6:66, and it has nothing to do with anything! So, I'm not going to get carried away with this but it did catch my eye.  Jesus is so big on saving people and that's clear.  And our response is to believe in Him.  He died for my sins and I need to accept His death for eternal life.  I need to let His death cleanse me from my sins. 

Enough preaching but for one more thing.  Leigh wrote this in one of her journal entries, "Thank You for Your great mercy.  That You spared me from death and Hell and continuous suffering.  Teach me, help me to really believe my depravity that we as humans do not deserve anything but an eternity in Hell.  Convict me.  Thank You for Your great love that I will be sharing eternity in Your presence with You.  Thank You that I can come before You with all the small details of life.  It's such a blessing to have You as my Lord and Savior."

That's from someone who is now experiencing "eternity in Your presence."  Thanks Leigh.  I love you so much.

Prayer Requests:
- For those who need to decide what Jesus means to them.
- For the sadness to leave.

"Father, cover Leigh with Your love today.  And I'll take some too.  I love You.  Thank You for saving Leigh Ann."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Greg for letting us hear Leigh's heart! Such truth!!! Today a friend accepted the Holy Spirit today after a bible study at our house yesterday and a follow up today that God ordained. I was teaching her about John 20:22. Turns out that she said today is MY day and we looked at the calendar and it's the 22nd! You know something you've said and I've thought too is why can't we "feel" someone that we spent so much time with. I have been pregnant 8 times and could not for the life of me remember what it feels like to have a baby move within. It totally perplexes me! But why is it that I read your wife's beautiful words and I "feel" something and it will stay with me in my memory. There just has to be something to that! Supernatural vs. physical...eternity vs. temporal. Praying for His Spirit to supernaturally feel awesome to you and the kids! I am hoping Leigh finds my four sweet ones in heaven and kisses the Savior for me.

    ReplyDelete