Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 154

Sunday, August 8th, 2010

Day 154 - Prayer works. 

Wrapping up one of those long "you know you're a parent when..." type days.  Had the opportunity to preach this morning.  This was my first time preaching since Leigh died and there were two services, so I was a little tired when the second service ended.  But all seemed to go well.  So when my mom asked if I needed help this afternoon I declined and the kids and I headed off for lunch and to do some last minute shopping for Cade/Bay as they start school tomorrow. 

Four hours of shopping with three kids will do something to a man.  Thankfully it was only in the low 100's, but getting in and out of the van, going from store to store, managing all the needs of the kids, can drain the energy tank pretty quickly.  Target, Staples, Walmart, Ikea, you get the idea.  I'm embarrassed to say all we were looking for were a pair of shoes for Bay and a comforter and desk chair for Caden, which tells you how many times the conversation included:  "So, what about this chair?"  "It's ok."  "So, does that mean you like it?" "I guess."  "You know you'll be sitting in it for a while doing homework."  "Then we better check another store."  Oh brother.

Unfortunately, coming home home didn't prove to be much of a reprieve.  The kids got the short-end of my attention tonight as I was consumed with putting an office chair together and stuffing a duvet into a comforter cover (am I even using these terms correctly?).  My lack of attention toward the children was highlighted by Bailey "allegedly" going to the bathroom but then proceeding to run around the house leaving a distinct aroma of pooh everywhere he went.  When it finally reached my nostrils we did a "bend over" check and it looked like a Hershey bar had melted in his butt.  Not the bite-size bars.  Those extra big ones.  It was bad.  Like, go take a shower, bad.  My apologies to the non-parents but three kids later and "pooh" talk is just a part of the gig.

Bailey finally got cleaned up so we moved on to cleaning up the recent tornado that blew through our house from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.  And that's where we come to the "prayer works," comment.  Somewhere in the middle of putting away the Sorry game and making up the boys beds (Sidebar:  Caden's comforter only works with black sheets, which were on Bailey's bed.  Of course you can't just switch sheets.  First you have to convince Bailey that he's not losing his black sheets but he's gaining some cool grey sheets.  Then everything has to be washed, dried, etc.) I lifted up a short prayer to God for peace and perserverance.  I was in need of finishing the night without any blow-ups, by the kids or me.  And within 15 minutes all the kids had brushed their teeth, clothes changed, and were in bed, all without me having to ask them twice.  We said our prayers and "I love you's" and that was it.  No fifteen minute Q&A sessions, no begging to stay up later, no asking for more to eat/drink.  Right now they're all sound asleep, and the house is quiet.  And my prayer was answered.

And God is so good.

Prayer Requests:
- Prayers for Bay/Cade as they start school tomorrow.  Cade said this was the first year that he's not terribly excited for school to start.  Prayers that they'll find moments of joy tomorrow.
- Prayers for me and I start school on Wednesday.  I already feel behind and we haven't even started yet.

"Father, thank You for allowing me to bring Your Word to some people this morning.  Thank You for the power of Your truths.  Thank You for hearing my heart even when my prayers are weak.  I love You."

No comments:

Post a Comment