Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 343

Sunday, February 13th, 2011


Day 343 - Bailey turns 7 today...


He woke up to some cards, a balloon, and his family wishing him a Happy Birthday.  Today he'll spend some time with a few friends at a local amusement center and we'll conclude the festivities next Saturday with family and friends.  All is going the way it should with the one exception of Leigh not being here.


At the cemetery today I couldn't help but wonder if Leigh knows it's Bailey's birthday and if so what she's feeling.  How could a mom who so adored her children not want to be with us today?  So when people tell me Heaven is so wonderful and that Leigh is having such a great time I have to pause and wonder what she's thinking on days like today.  I don't know.  Of course I miss her tremendously.  I'm relieved today marks the last of the "first" birthdays without Leigh (including hers).


After today we'll be down to Valentines Day, and the one-year anniversary of Leigh's death.  That will mark one year of events, holidays, birthdays, vacations, and just plain living without my wife.  And while it will be an accomplishment in and of itself to have gotten through this past year it won't be viewed as anything but a long year with many more ahead. 


Once again the day is very bittersweet.  Happy Birthday Bay.

4:38 p.m. - All my kids have different personalities and what I love about Bailey is his ability to forgive and forget.  He has short-term memory in the good sense.  Six friends were invited to some amusement fun but for one reason or another five couldn't make it.  As I nervously waited to see how Bay would respond he chose to make the best of it, smiling and laughing the entire afternoon.  At one point he mentioned, "This is the best day of my life!"  Thank you Bay for making my job easy.  I love you so very much.





"Father, take care of Bailey today.  Let him to know that he is loved by so many."

No comments:

Post a Comment